Sunday, December 7, 2014

Flying Solo

“Oh my gosh why would you that?” 
“You sound bitter… (He’s like a brother so he gets away with way too much.)” 
“Are you serious?” 
“If you want me to go with you just ask me…”
 Above are the responses I have received from my family and friends when I tell them I'm planning a trip by myself. 
 My feelings have gone from excitement with a side of nervous to just plain doubtfulness. What if I am really crazy...? What 22-year-old goes on solo trips? This prompted me to think about what I do on a day to day basis.
 
Examples of my craziness/weirdness:
  1. I don't mind going to the movies by myself.
  2. I have gone to dinner at a semi nice restaurant and sat at the bar reading a good book.
  3. I love working out by myself.
  4. I signed up for a half-marathon and trained all on my. [It's next Sunday in Dallas. Wish me luck!(:]
I absolutely have an amazing group of friends who would join me in a heart-beat. I feel incredibly grateful and proud to call them my friends. But I'm the type of person that needs to be reminded that I am able and capable. Of what exactly? Of anything!
 
I feel in your twenties you should do things that scare the crap out of you but empower you and inspire you to be a better person. Confidence and self-esteem are like muscles that we must exercise. 
 
I feel that when you graduate college it is so incredibly easy to settle and stay in that comfortable job that pays the bills and allows you to have a decent life. But to be honest, I have a million and one dreams in my suitcase that terrify me and thrill me at the same time. Those dreams will require confidence, fearlessness, determination, fire, resilience and thick skin. 
 
So a question I ask myself often is how do I prevent myself from settling. How can I remind myself of the fire that is within? How can I remind myself that I only have one life?

How do I remind myself in the middle of all the chaos of being twenty-something not to store my suitcase away but to keep it open and by the door? How can I learn to silence all the voices even from the people I love the most and say my decision is enough. I'm not crazy or being unreasonable. 


 

 


 

 


 

 
p.s. Embrace the Journey.


 

p.p.s I'm so going!


 

 
XO


 

 -J




No comments :

Post a Comment